Packing equipment for any holiday requires careful planning, and more so if the destination on your list is a challenging one. While every avid explorer would prefer to travel light, it would become nothing short of a calamity should you arrive at your scheduled spot short of the required equipment. When embarking on multi-activity holidays, it is essential to note that you are going to spend a major part of your vacation outdoors. So to make your adventure vacation loads of fun, here are s list of what you must carry on your multiple activity holiday and come back satisfied.
You will need something to carry all the items you have decided upon. You should opt for a pack which will allow your hands to be free as you may be hiking or traveling for several days. Your chosen rucksack should fit easily on your back and store everything. It should be waterproof and snug enough to allow you to travel in rough terrain.
Regardless of the nature of the trip, safety is of utmost importance. Advance preparation, is therefore vital to ensure this. At the onset, check whether all your travel documents are in place like, air tickets, passport, visas, reservations and photo ID’s. Always carry copies in case the originals get stolen or misplaced. Calculate the amount of cash you need to have on hand and ensure your credit and debit cards have international access.
Important bits and pieces
● Toilet essentials like travel size shampoo and body wash.
● Toothpaste and toothbrush
● Razor and shaving cream
● Laundry soap
● Water bottle, which can be flattened and folded when not in use.
● Headlamp, instead of a flashlight, in order to allow your hands to be free when navigating in the dark.
● Powerbank, because invariably you will need one at some time or the other.
● Pouches to carry batteries, Swiss knives, sewing kit, padlock and finger clippers.
● Everyday sling bag to carry all your essentials like phone, wallet etc and which can be slinged across the body to prevent thefts.
● Energy bars, to top up the energy lost while out in the open.
● Walking poles, if you really rate your knees and also for balancing when crossing rivers or climbing.
● Map to try out your location and find out which hill is which on the far horizon.
● Sunglasses, which apart from helping your eyes against the glare of the sun and dirt, allow you to look cool. Invest in a good quality pair before you set out.
● Travel insurance
● Sleeping bag, duvet and pillow
● Hat to keep the sun off. Depending on the season you may need either a sun hat or a warm hat.
● A good book, especially for the outdoors
● Empty water bottle which can be refilled anywhere and saves on buying new bottled water
This equipment depends entirely on the activity you intend to engage in while on your vacation. It could be anything from a yoga mat to a scuba diving kit or just a pair of binoculars for birdwatchers. Check out the important information on the travel blogs to avoid breaking any rules while on flight or traveling over land.
A pair of swim shorts should be on the top of your packing list, irrespective of the holiday you are going on. Not only are they are light, they hardly take up much space in your luggage and come in handy most of the time.
Now clothes will occupy a lot of space in the bags, being the major essentials for day to day wear. Their selection, therefore, depends entirely on the outing in mind. A beach vacation would require lots of cotton clothes. A nature or camping retreat would mean synthetic, waterproof and soft wool materials to be included. Basically take clothes which can be packed in layers and can save on space. Short sleeve shirts, underwear ( three pairs at least), socks, shorts/pants are a few essential items. Go for a microfiber towel, which not only dries fast, but is fairly lightweight.
Believe me, your choice of shoes can make or break your outdoor sojourn. Comfortable footwear should be the hallmark of an active holiday. So leave your flip flops and high heel sandals behind and instead opt for walking shoes that can adapt to any kind of hiking activity. Make sure you wear merino wool socks to avoid smelly feet. Not only that, you can wear them for a long period before they start to smell.
Protection from the elements
Since you have decided to go on an activity filled getaway, it is all but presumed that you will be spending most of the time at the mercy of the elements. So once you have researched about
the weather prevailing at your destination, you can pack the suitable equipment. Some things which are common to all phenomenon include, sun screen, sun glasses, hat, scarf, poncho and windcheater jacket.
First Aid Kit
A basic first aid kit is like an insurance which you should never leave home without, and hopefully never have to use it. Accidents and incidents can occur at anytime, with varying degree of injury. Your first aid kit should have enough medicines to take into consideration your itinerary, size of the group and location, especially since you are headed off the beaten track and must adjust your first aid kit accordingly. A basic kit should have the following items:
● Basic products like gauge, antiseptic, tweezers, cotton etc
● Digital thermometer
● Hand wipes
● Sun protection
● Insect repellent
● Blister packs
● Your prescription medication
● Mild laxative
● Motion sickness tablets
● High altitude prevention medicine
And don’t forget that that this important kit is only of use if it is available. Not only you must carry it with you, but make sure it is not left behind in the room/luggage.
There is an app for almost everything these days, so a good smartphone will definitely enhance your overall travel experience. Include a goPro, plug adapter, camera and chargers which may come in handy. If you are into photography, opt for a good and sturdy tripod. It is also advisable to check the costs of using your mobile phone abroad through your service provider.
Traveling, no doubt broadens the mind, but the excitement of the trip may at times make the traveler forget about what to pack and what not. While on a city break, you may get by, but an adventure holiday is different all together. If you don’t bring the right items, your outcome of an outdoor holiday can be a foregone conclusion.
** This is a collaborative post **