How to change your home without moving house

I don’t know about you, but I get easily bored, especially when it comes to our home! We have moved nine times over the years and as much as I know that, unless we win the lottery, this will be our forever home, I can’t help but feel that without making adjustments and renovations, we would all become a little bored of our surroundings.

We have been in our home for three years now and in that time made many adjustments. We have renovated our garage and an extension to the back of our house, decorated the children’s rooms, twice over, and are now in the process of doing the bathrooms and our bedrooms.

Changing your home doesn’t have to cost a fortune. I asked a group of bloggers for their tips on changing your home without moving house.

Update your bedding. We just bought the most beautiful luxury duvet covers from Julian Charles which have transformed our bedroom! ~ Edinburgh with kids.

Change photos in frames for something more up to date to look at. ~ Just average Jen.

I love using chalk paint to update old furniture. Gives a new look at the fraction of the price of buying new – and anyone can do it – no skill required. ~ Somewhere after the rainbow.

Change your curtains, blinds or nets to freshen up the look of a room. ~ Katy Kicker.

New handles on units and doors is a cheap way to freshen up the kitchen. ~ Household money saving.

Change the furniture around my Granny used to do it every few months and it was like walking into a new room!!  ~ Soph-obsessed.

We’re doing this at the moment! New blinds, (or stencil them with fabric paint to update!), wall stickers, feature wall, either paint or wallpaper, rugs, chuck throws over the sofas. ~ Pink pear bear.

I love all of these ideas and they have spurred me on with our plans to #RenovateRedecorateInspire. It’s a good job really, I don’t think I could face moving house again just yet!!

*** This is a collaborative post ***

1. October 16, 2017 / 1:17 pm

We too are right in the middle of renovating our house. It kinda feels like moving into a new one slowly:)

• Laura Dove
      October 16, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Yes I agree! I feel that way just when we decorate a new room! xx

2. October 16, 2017 / 1:39 pm

These are lovely! The most I have ever done is shift the angle in which the sofa is placed haha! I think I’ll follow your advice with switching up the curtain and bed spreads. That ought to do the trick.

• Laura Dove
      October 16, 2017 / 9:01 pm

It makes a huge different, new bedding is always lovely! xx

3. October 16, 2017 / 9:24 pm

I get easily bored too, I moved 8 times in the last 4 years and three in the last year , although those moves were not due to boredom but necessity. But I agree that things like updating your bedding or changing the furniture can help!

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 10:05 am

Wow that’s a lot of moves! I remember reading your post about it. Hopefully you can settle where you are for a while! xx

4. October 17, 2017 / 7:36 am

I’m currently obsessed with decor and even though I’m only renting the house I would love to make it look more homely and put a little stamp on it 🙂

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 9:37 am

I think there’s so much you can do even to a rented property just to change things up! xx

5. October 17, 2017 / 8:17 am

I do like the idea of swapping around furniture to make things look different but in my flat there’s only really one way everything will work x

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 8:59 am

Yes that’s always the issue, it’s the same in some of our rooms, there’s only one place for it to go! xx

6. October 17, 2017 / 8:55 am

I love swapping furniture once in a while if I’m in the mood or I get bored and it makes a big difference when you re-arrange stuff.

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 8:57 am

I agree, we are always switching things up! xx

7. October 17, 2017 / 12:15 pm

It’s really a refreshment when we have new items, the house just looks brand new again!!

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 4:22 pm

I agree, it’s great to switch things up! xx

8. October 17, 2017 / 5:47 pm

Yes! I need visual change from time to time otherwise it seems dull and like you’re in a zombie state because you over look everything because you know it’s there! (does that make sense to you ha!) Changing things up wakens you up ; )
    I rearrange rooms in the house, changing furniture to different spots, changing bed spreads, curtains, you name it I’ve changed it… love your post!

• Laura Dove
      October 17, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Hahah sounds like your a serial switcher upper! Thanks Eloise! xx

9. October 18, 2017 / 5:34 pm

I get bored so easily too and always want to do something different. I love these ideas on how to update your home without doing too much. It is crazy how a new bed set or new curtains can change the appearance of the room!

xoxo,
    Gabi

• Laura Dove
      October 19, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I agree, I think we all need a change of scenery too! xx

10. October 18, 2017 / 6:41 pm

Nine times is a lot! I can imagine all the effort in arranging stuff. Anyway, great tips you have there. I just bought a new duvet and it’s a game changer. I feel that I’m in a hotel. 😍

• Laura Dove
      October 19, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thank you, haha I love that feeling! xx

11. Via Bella
    October 23, 2017 / 11:20 pm

This is such a great idea. I have been wanting to make my house more my home now more than ever. I wanted to make it fully my own!

• Laura Dove
      October 24, 2017 / 7:41 pm

Yes I’m the same, it’s lovely putting those finishing touches to it. xx