If these people won the lottery, why shouldn’t I?

*** Guest post ***

They say that you’re more likely to be struck by lightning than to win the lottery, but there’s a difference. No one goes outside during a thunderstorm with the intention of getting struck by lightning. On the other hand, whenever a lottery offers a huge jackpot prize that can reach as high as $1.58 billion (as in the case of the US Powerball in January 2016), many of us immediately storm over to the nearest retail shop to purchase our tickets. If the rain is heavy outside, we can always buy official lottery tickets at theLotter, the leading online ticket purchasing service. Bad weather won’t stop us from taking a chance on the lottery!

The odds of winning a lottery jackpot may be stacked against us, but the cost of participation in a lottery is actually not that expensive. Spending a small amount of pocket money in the hope that a jackpot win will make our wildest dreams come true is hardly a luxury, as long as we don’t go overboard with our purchases. In order to win, you need to play.

Someone always wins the lottery jackpot in the end, so why shouldn’t it be you? A jackpot win could certainly turn your life around. If you plan things wisely, it would guarantee financial stability for you and your family for decades to come.

Jackpot winners come from all walks of life. This is understandable, as the lottery seems to attract everyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor, educated or not, married or single, because we all fantasize about winning.

In many cases, winning the lottery can help solve the financial difficulties of people in real need of money. There are also cases when the unexpected windfall of a lottery win results in exactly the opposite. Instead of improving one’s life, lottery winnings can be mishandled and fortunes that arrived quite unexpectedly have disappeared in no time at all.

When we consider some examples of big lottery winners we can’t help but wonder what we would do in their situation.

In May 2013, 84-year-old Gloria MacKenzie of Florida was standing in line to purchase a lottery ticket for the American Powerball, which offered at the time a $590 million jackpot prize. An unidentified woman allowed MacKenzie to go ahead of her in line. This random act of kindness was a life-changer for MacKenzie, whose purchase of a Quick Pick ticket resulted in her being the sole winner of the top prize. The media reported that MacKenzie planned to donate $2 million to repair the roof of a high school in Maine where her daughter teaches.

Best friends Paula Barraclough and Lorraine Smith from Sunderland, shared a £15m jackpot in the UK Lotto draw in February 2017. The two, who have been friends for more than 17 years, planned to celebrate together by flying first class to Las Vegas. Blackpool couple Andrew and Natalie Cunliffe were able to use their £1m lottery prize in February 2016 to stage their dream wedding in Cyprus. A couple from New Jersey, identified only by their first names Jackie and Rande, planned to use their $1 million lottery prize in March 2016 to help raise their three grandchildren, after the tragic death of their daughter.

Not all lottery winners are that deserving of the prize. Jane Park from Edinburgh became Britain’s youngest EuroMillions winner ever when she won a £1million prize in 2013. Since then, Park has been featured in the gossip columns as a result of her lavish spending, wild partying, and frequent cosmetic surgeries, as well as for her threat of suing the National Lottery for ruining her life, because they had allowed teenagers to purchase lotto tickets.

These winners, and many more just like them, are people as ordinary as you and I, yet they had the luck of winning huge lottery prizes. Maybe we’ll be next to have our dreams come true when we play the lottery.

*** This is a collaborative post ***

1. August 3, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Well I have tried this in past but gave up. I felt I was not doing some of the winners any favor since they end up messed up or into drugs and I don’t want to be part of reason for that person turning out that way.

August 4, 2017 / 9:54 am

I think there will always be people who use their winnings in the wrong way, but at the same time they are in the minority. So many winners have done amazing, charitable things with their winnings and it has changed their lives. xx

2. August 4, 2017 / 12:48 am

Lottery is actually an addiction, for the sake of getting something you keep on buying tickets, I believe that it can be done for fun with a cap on maximum spending one can have. Great perspective shared of some even non worthy people got millions from lotto tickets and have misused it.

August 4, 2017 / 9:53 am

Yes I think some people can take it too far, as with everything. We buy one ticket a week, if that, and it’s just a bit of fun really in the hope we might win. xx

3. Claire
    August 4, 2017 / 5:32 am

Oh wow! I always find people winning lottery and I’m just like that’s crazy what a lucky person. I never thought of myself winning the lottery or trying since it’s just based on luck. But I definitely do think it’s important to know how to spend money if you get to win millions of dollars one day.

August 4, 2017 / 9:52 am

I spend a lot of time dreaming about what I would spend the money on, I feel if I ever won the lottery I would know exactly what to buy! xx

4. August 4, 2017 / 7:44 am

Winning the lottery is a dream for everyone, but i’ve seen stories where people have won and had no idea what to do with the money… this is common with young people winning. This is a great insight on the glamourisation of winning the lottery and the lavish life. You never know… you could be the next winner 😀

August 4, 2017 / 9:51 am

I agree, I think sometimes too much money can be damaging to younger winner. At 37 I am confident that it would be the most amazing thing ever, haha! xx

5. August 4, 2017 / 8:31 am

They say you won’t win the lottery if you don’t play. I never imagined myself winning but am always a bit envious of the people that do win.

August 4, 2017 / 9:51 am

Me too, every week I sit in hope that one day it will be me!!!

6. August 4, 2017 / 10:52 am

Sometimes I like to imagine what I’d do if I won the lottery, and while I know people say that money doesn’t buy you happiness I do think it would make life so much easier x

August 4, 2017 / 11:06 am

Oh I agree, it would take off so much of the pressure! I’d be ecstatic!! xx

7. August 4, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Yes we’ve all dreamed about winning the lotto and discussed what we would do “if” and “when” the lucky day appeared. The Irish lotto is somewhat smaller than the US and Euro lotteries and in some ways a more manageable sum to win as it would ensure being comfortable but not making your life so unmanageable.

August 6, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Yes I think it’s easier to imagine winning a smaller amount. The thought of winning several million is over whelming, although I’m not sure Id have any trouble spending it!! xx

8. August 5, 2017 / 4:23 am

We don’t have a lottery here – it’s technically gambling and therefore illegal – but I always remember summers in England when my grandparents would let us pick the numbers on the condition that we shared our winnings…we never won more that 15 pounds (which they would let us keep all of). I never really understood why people sunk so much money into the tickets week after week but I guess I never really grew up seeing people win or it even really being a part of my life…

August 6, 2017 / 6:01 pm

Wow I didn’t know that! For us buying a lottery ticket is just a bit of fun each week, it’s £2 and the excitement that we may win is worth every penny. The most we have won is a couple of hundred but we live in hope of the jackpot! xx

9. August 6, 2017 / 5:27 am

Winning lottery or jackpot is dream of everyone. But some people are addicted to it and don’t do hard work and thus destroy their life.

August 6, 2017 / 5:54 pm

I think buying a lottery ticket each week is absolutely fine, its when they start to buy more and more it becomes an issue. xx

10. August 6, 2017 / 9:49 pm

How the lottery win affects you is dependent on your personality. I know of someone who won who said she wished she hadn’t not because of going crazy with the money but the stacks of begging letters she would receive because strangers found out where she lived. The lottery win can be a blessing and a curse.

August 7, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I think for most of us it would be a blessing, I guess it depends on the kind of person you are. For me it would give us financial security and I’d be able to do the same for my family too. xx

11. August 7, 2017 / 4:15 am

Oh! I so wish to try my luck in lottery but this isn’t allowed in Dubai due to various reasons. Love hearing such stories…winning big is a dream!

August 7, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Oh I didn’t know that!! It’s funny how it is seen as gambling in so many countries! xx

12. August 7, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I don’t play the normal lotto, but I do play postcode lottery which I sort of regret as it gets expensive but I always think if my street won and I’d stopped playing I’d be gutted hehe!

August 8, 2017 / 3:03 pm

Haha yes me too!! I’m like that with syndicates, I worry about missing out! xx

13. August 7, 2017 / 11:34 pm

Whoo I feel you, for 5 straight years, I ave been trying my luck at lottery on a daily basis. But I realized, maybe it’s not for me. I have just told myself, others need the pot money more than I.

August 8, 2017 / 3:01 pm

That’s such a great way to look at it! Good luck though! xx

14. August 8, 2017 / 12:01 pm

I have never tried it but have seen many people doing this for years. Winning lottery is dream of everyone. Interesting blog !

August 8, 2017 / 2:53 pm

Fingers crossed one day it will be me! xx

15. Rhewi Montemayor
    August 8, 2017 / 7:12 pm

My hubby was always want to play lotto and he’s hoping to win the lottery someday I seen many people that hope to win too.

August 8, 2017 / 9:24 pm

I live in hope, it would be amazing wouldn’t it? xx