How to get a good nights sleep

As a parent, sleep is something that I find myself thinking about pretty much every minute of every day, and yet actually doing it far less often than I’d like! With four children, on-going back issues and chronic skeletomuscular pain, I find it very difficult to, not only switch off and get to sleep each night, but to simply stay asleep without waking several times through the night due to pain. Every morning I get out of bed feeling more pain than I was the night before and, more often than not, twice as tired too!

I recently watched the following video, released by Adjustamatic, sharing advice on how to get a better nights sleep. I was surprised to learn that we spend twenty five years of our lives in bed, making it vitally important that we are getting a quality nights sleep, even more so as parents!

I asked some fellow parent bloggers for their tips on how to get a good nights sleep and they came up with some great advice.

“I have to give myself a period of winding down, otherwise my mind is racing. I go to bed and give myself time to read my book. I always fall asleep reading it and wake up in the morning with it either tucked under me or on the floor.”

Laura at Dear Bear and Beany.

“PILLOWS! But not where you think. If I am on my back I have a pillow under my knees. If I am on my side then one pillow between my knees and sometimes one at front supporting the top shoulder and then one behind me supporting my back. I also drink gin and have silicone earplugs. I know, I am a catch!”

Natasha at Mummy and Moose.

“I try to keep away from all technology for an hour before bed. I find that my mind tends to race and try to solve the world’s problems right before I fall asleep so I keep a notebook by the bed to write it all down, rather than keep it in. I have back pain almost daily due to spinal anaesthetic that went wrong. Sleeping on my side helps but I always roll over onto my back while sleeping, I now use a U-shaped pregnancy pillow and it changed my life, really helps ease the pain.

Lisa at That British Betty.

“I have to have a really dark room with all electronic things switched off as red TV lights etc drive me crackers! Blackout blinds are essential for me too.”

Beth at Twinderelmo.

“Make sure bed is for sleep only. Try not to sit in it watching television, or on your laptop otherwise you’re not going to associate getting into bed with going to sleep. Works absolute wonders for me and has changed some seriously bad sleeping habits.”

Emily at Babies & Beauty.

“I have always struggled with sleep. That was until I started breathing techniques in maternity yoga. I take one deep breath then slow breath out thinking that a green colour is coming up from my toes and out of my head and being replaced with a blue. After my toes I then start from my knees, hips and so on. I am normally asleep before I get past my waist now. Deep slow breathes is the key.”

Kelly at  Nature mum blog.

“I have suffered with insomnia for years, I find a drop of lavender on my pillow, or a few drops in a bath before bed and a cup of camomile tea about half an hour before bed can help me. Also warming up the bed with a hot water bottle can help with back pain.”

Jennifer at My Mummy’s Pennies.

“My biggest tip is to try and not stress if you can’t fall asleep. I know it’s easier said than done but I used to get so worked up and angry/frustrated/upset if I couldn’t sleep. and naturally it only made the problem worse. I find reading relaxes me and also acceptance, if I don’t sleep it’s okay. After having my son I realised I can actually survive on little sleep -with the help of some caffeine!”

Emma at Me & B make tea.

There is nothing worse than sleep deprivation, even more so when you’re waking in pain, and so I shall definitely be taking all of this advice on board starting with investing in a pregnancy pillow (that’ll get people talking!), sprinkling my bedding with lavender and switching off the ipad.

Roll on bedtime!!

gnucux-iobg-cris-saur

*** This is a sponsored post. ***

Post Comment Love
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three
Pink Pear Bear

1. Helen
    January 27, 2017 / 9:36 am

Oo lots of fantastic tips! I’m currently 22 weeks pregnant and struggling to get comfy at night. I think I need to surround myself in fluffy pillows 🙂 #TheList

Helen x

January 27, 2017 / 10:33 am

Oh no, there’s nothing worse than being pregnant and struggling to sleep. I didn’t actually have a bump so that wasn’t an issue, but I did get horrific cramps in my legs every night that had me waking every hour!!! xx

2. January 27, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Some great tips and that koala is adorable! #POCOLO

January 27, 2017 / 2:22 pm

Isn’t it just? I wish I could sleep like that, I struggle to fall asleep most nights! xx

3. January 27, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Great tips I find it hsrdcsone nights to switch off and take ages to fall asleep.

4. January 27, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Great tips i find it hard some nights to switch off and take ages to fall asleep

January 27, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Me too! I’m still awake at 3, 4am!! Agghhh! xx

5. January 27, 2017 / 9:19 pm

When I got pregnant with Peachy, I started having increasingly bad back pain. It would get much worse if I lay down so sleep was rough. It continued to be really bad until Peachy was around 11 months old. Since the, it has gradually been getting better. It still bothers me but at least I feel like I’m getting my life back. It was really hard to deal with such horrible pain and an infant. One of the first things I did was buy a pregnancy body pillow. It helped but eventually I switched to just a regular pillow between my knees. I still use it and I find it does help.

If I can’t sleep I have to get out of bed and do something. Otherwise I just lay there with my mind running in circles. If I get up and do something I feel it resets my mind and I can try falling asleep again. Sometimes it’s enought to just go downstairs for a glass of water, look out the window while I drink it, and do a lap around the livingroom. Helps clear my mind from any wayward thoughts. #PoCoLo

January 29, 2017 / 9:27 pm

I’m exactly the same! If I can’t sleep I know that by just lying there I will make it a million times worse!! I’ve just bought a pregnancy pillow, I’m so hopeful that it will help! xx

6. January 28, 2017 / 8:47 am

Some really practical tips – luckily I don’t have any trouble sleeping – I think as soon as my head hits that pillow I’m gone, but every now and then I get a bout of insomnia (anxiety worries) so these tips will help. I definitely think I need a new bed though!

January 29, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Oh I would love to drop off like that! I get the same, my anxiety sometimes gets the better of me and I just can’t switch off! It’s so hard! xx

7. January 28, 2017 / 9:53 am

I spent my whole life struggling to sleep and since having kids and having to sit in dark rooms with them to help them sleep , I started listening to audio books and now I can’t sleep without it.

January 29, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I used to always have background noise playing to help me sleep but when I met my husband he can only sleep in complete silence so I had to stop! It’s awful when you can’t sleep, I’m so tired but just cant switch off! xx

8. January 28, 2017 / 1:47 pm

There’s some great tips there – thanks for sharing Laura and thanks to those who contributed 🙂 I’ve been suffering from back pain too and my physio told me my ‘sleep hygiene’ is very poor and not sleeping much means my body doesn’t recover enough so I really need to work on that. I’ve heard good things about Ashwagandha which is a herb used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat insomnia so trying it now. we’ve also invested in a good quality mattress which i think makes such a difference. xx #FabFridayPost

January 29, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Oh that’s something I will read up on, my insomnia is terrible at the moment and I’ve had to rely on short term prescription sleeping pills which don’t actually help in the long term! I’ll have a read about that now! xx

9. January 28, 2017 / 3:38 pm

I have insomnia as well and it can be difficult to get off to sleep I agree. Having soothing scents helps and making sure that there are no distractions too x

January 29, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Insomnia is the worst isn’t it? I just can’t switch off, I’m always worrying about something! xx

10. January 28, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Ahhh… sleep. I used to be such a good sleeper but nowadays I am so bad at it. Between jumping to attention if I hear a baby cry and sitting in bed with my phone and computer working, it’s not really any surprise. The video was really interesting, I never thought about hugging a pillow before but it makes sense to help keep things straight. Am getting a really big pregnancy pillow tomorrow to help as am now getting even more uncomfortable with bump! #fabfridaypost

January 29, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Ahh being pregnant makes sleep even harder! I just bought a pregnancy pillow too, and I’m not even pregnant! xx

11. January 28, 2017 / 6:44 pm

I could have written that first sentence! Ha! I love sleeping and think about it all the time, but with a busy family life, work, faff, social media etc. I actually get a lot less than I should. I’ve recently discovered meditation apps and they really work a treat!

January 29, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Ooh I’ve never tried a meditation app! I’m going to download one – thank you! xx

12. January 29, 2017 / 12:03 am

I had no idea that the position of the pillows make such a big difference! I use some lavender drops to help me go to sleep and a very dark room. But now I will be putting pillow between my legs too – that’s probably why I have such bad backache all the time! Thank you Laura for sharing this with us on #FabFridayPost x

January 29, 2017 / 9:01 pm

I’ve just bought a pregnancy pillow, I’m hoping it’s the answer to a good nights sleep! xx

13. January 29, 2017 / 6:16 am

Great tips. I used to be a complete insomniac and would spend most of the night just lying awake. Since my second child was born though I’ve somehow managed to fall asleep within seconds. I’ll still wake up several times throughout the night so it’s not a completely restful sleep, but better than I’ve ever had before. When my back is playing up and I’m in pain a pregnancy pillow definitely helps me get more comfortable x
    #TheListLinky

January 29, 2017 / 9:01 pm

Me too! I was insomniac for years, I still go through stages now where I have to rely on prescription sleeping pills, it’s very easy for your body to get into a rut of not sleeping! Pain is a huge part of unsettled sleep, I’ve just bought a pregnancy pillow so I’m hoping that does help! xx

14. January 29, 2017 / 8:10 am

I am so exhausted by the end of the day I am gone almost straight away

January 29, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Oh I’m so jealous! No matter how tired I am I just can’t get to sleep! xx

15. January 29, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Some great tips! Nothing worse when everybody else is asleep (for once!) and you can’t sleep! That is what tends to happen to me! Thank you for sharing this! #EatSleepBlogRT

January 30, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Yes! Me too! Worse when the kids are asleep and you just know that by the time you finally get to sleep, they’ll wake up! xx

16. January 30, 2017 / 10:52 am

Great tips hun. I really need to switch off the technology before bedtime. Thank you for linking up to #EatSleepBlogRT 🌟

January 30, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I’m very guilty of that too! xx

17. January 30, 2017 / 6:25 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever wake up feeling refreshed ever again… #thelistlinky

February 1, 2017 / 9:41 am

Me too! I’m thinking NOT!! xx

18. January 30, 2017 / 8:01 pm

I have been suffering from insomnia lately and is driving me crazy. Your tips are life safer. #EatSleepBlogRT

February 1, 2017 / 9:41 am

Thanks Anna, I hope you get some sleep! xx

19. January 30, 2017 / 8:15 pm

Fab ideas! I agree with the lavender and winding down. Must work harder on the electronics thing though!! Also – four kids – superwoman! With chronic skeletomuscular problems – double superwoman! Thanks for sharing on #FabFridayPost

February 1, 2017 / 9:40 am

Ahh thanks Becky! And the perfect excuse as to why I look so tired all the time! xx

20. January 30, 2017 / 8:21 pm

This is perfect timing for me. I have had such a rough time recently with sleep. It’s rubbish!

February 1, 2017 / 9:40 am

I sympathise, I have suffered with insomnia and sleep issues my whole life, I would love to have a full nights sleep, even just once!!! xx

21. January 31, 2017 / 8:50 am

Worrying about something or someone is always what keeps me awake. #TwinklyTuesday

February 1, 2017 / 9:36 am

Me too! And with four children, there is always someone to worry about! xx

22. January 31, 2017 / 8:54 am

Ooooo good tips. I’ve never slept well. I shall be giving some of these a go! #twinklytuesday

February 1, 2017 / 9:36 am

Thank you, good luck! xx

23. January 31, 2017 / 11:56 am

Oh this video was great, I sleep on my side and used 1 pillow as I thought that was best but 2 seems to be the winner and I do tend to knee spoon a pillow much to my partners delight. Great getting tips from other bloggers and parents. I love lavender, the dark and no screens before bed though I have been breaking my screens rule a lot lately! I havnt slept great since being diagnosed with fibro/ME so I think I am going to invest in some decent pillows 🙂 #Thelistlinky xx

February 1, 2017 / 9:33 am

Oh I have fibro and ME too! I sympathise, I’ve had it for twenty years now and my sleep has always been affected. I’ve just bought a pregnancy pillow and find that it puts me into a really good sleep position, and it gives me something to cuddle, my husband hates cuddling when he sleeps! xx

24. January 31, 2017 / 5:47 pm

I love my sleep and I am so grumpy if I don’t get a good nights sleep. I was awful when the twins were born how my OH it up with me I will never know

February 1, 2017 / 9:27 am

I’m the same, and I’m always tired – that’s why I’m always grumpy, that’s my excuse anyway!

25. February 1, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I can sleep just fine, it’s my little insomniac child that won’t let me sleep! He can’t help it though as he has Autism so I won’t complain. You don’t realise how much sleep affects you, if there’s a way to catch up on sleep then take it! #TwinlyTuesday

February 1, 2017 / 9:33 pm

Oh no! Sleep deprivation is the worst! xx

26. February 2, 2017 / 7:03 pm

TWENTY FIVE YEARS?!?!?! Are you serious???? Woah. That’s amazing, and so so important to have a decent bed to spend it in! Thanks for popping by the #bigpinklink

27. February 6, 2017 / 9:36 pm

I find that when I can’t sleep – at that frustrated can’t sleep point – then I get up and have a cup of tea. May not work, but it stops me fretting and tossing and turning which i’m sure can’t do anyone any good. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo x

February 7, 2017 / 9:35 am

Yes I agree, lying there and stressing about it can make it even worse! I’m guilty of that! xx